The name of our Cabernet Sauvignon comes from the jazz joints from the roaring 20s. The walls of these clubs were lined with wine and booze barrels. With hints of black pepper, cedar & black cherries, this wine would pair well with rib-eye steak or mushroom dishes.
The name Barrelhouse Red comes from the jazz clubs in early 20th century New Orleans. They were thus named because of the barrels full of liquor lining the walls. The uninhibited, vigorous type of jazz that originated in those clubs is also referred to as barrelhouse.
Cabernet Sauvignon was created by accident in 17th century France when Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc plants were fortuitously combined. The offspring of those varietals, Cabernet Sauvignon, became one of the most popular wine grapes, and is grown in nearly every major wine producing country in the world. You may taste hints of black pepper, cedar, black cherries and plums in Cab Sauv.
Pair our Barrelhouse Red with any of the following:
- Roasted lamb
- Short ribs
- Cheese burger
- Mushroom dishes
- Ribeye steak
- Beef Stew
- Pasta with Bolognese sauce
- Roast duck
Try it with these flavors:
Spicy foods go great with our Cabernet. Use chipotle, barbecue sauce, and Cajun spices in your dishes to compliment it. Other strong flavors such as gorgonzola and rosemary also pair well..
Want to pair with cheese? Try these:
- Cheddar cheeses
- Danish Blue
- Gouda (aged)
- Parmigiano Reggiano
If you enjoy our Cabernet Sauvignon, you may also enjoy Nero D’Avola, Malbec, Monastrell, and Carmenere.
Barrelhouse Red Playlist
- Harlem Rag by Tom Turpin
- Maple Leaf Rag by Scott Joplin
- St. Louis Blues by W.C. Handy
- Funky Butt by The Buddy Bolden Band
- The Crave by Jelly Roll Morton
- Honeysuckle Rose by James P. Johnson
- Summertime by Billie Holiday
- Dinah by Louis Armstrong
- Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out by Bessie Smith
- Sugarfoot Stomp by Fletcher Henderson and his Orchestra
- Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin
- Minnie the Moocher by Cab Calloway
- Things to Come by Dizzy Gillespie
- Flying Home by Ella Fitzgerald